How to Replace Battery in SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor
The SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor is an important component of your home security system. It detects the sound of breaking glass and triggers an alarm, alerting you and your monitoring company of a potential break-in. Like any battery-powered device, the battery in the Glass Break Sensor will eventually need to be replaced. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to replace the battery in your SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor:
1. Start by disarming your SimpliSafe security system. This will prevent any false alarms from occurring while you’re replacing the battery.
2. Locate the Glass Break Sensor on your wall or window frame. It is a small device with a round shape and a speaker grille on one side.
3. Use a small flathead screwdriver or a coin to rotate the sensor counterclockwise. This will unlock the sensor from its mounting bracket.
4. Once the sensor is loose, carefully remove it from the mounting bracket.
5. Flip the sensor over to access the battery compartment. You will see a small tab or latch that needs to be released to open the compartment.
6. Use your fingernail or a small tool to release the tab/latch and open the battery compartment.
7. Remove the old battery from the compartment. Pay attention to the battery’s orientation, as you will need to insert the new battery in the same way.
8. Insert a fresh CR123A lithium battery into the compartment, making sure it is properly aligned with the positive (+) and negative (-) markings.
9. Close the battery compartment by pressing it firmly until you hear a click or feel it securely snap shut.
10. Align the sensor with the mounting bracket and rotate it clockwise to lock it into place.
11. Test the Glass Break Sensor by tapping on a glass surface or using a glass break simulator. The sensor should detect the sound and trigger the alarm.
12. Arm your SimpliSafe security system again to ensure it is fully operational.
Common Questions and Answers:
1. How often do I need to replace the battery in my Glass Break Sensor?
The battery in the Glass Break Sensor typically lasts around three years, but it’s a good idea to check it annually.
2. Where can I buy a replacement battery for my Glass Break Sensor?
You can purchase a CR123A lithium battery from most electronics stores or online retailers.
3. Can I use rechargeable batteries in my Glass Break Sensor?
No, rechargeable batteries are not recommended for use in the Glass Break Sensor. Stick to the recommended CR123A lithium battery.
4. Will replacing the battery erase my Glass Break Sensor’s settings?
No, replacing the battery will not affect the settings of your Glass Break Sensor.
5. How can I tell if the battery in my Glass Break Sensor is low?
The SimpliSafe system will alert you when the battery in the Glass Break Sensor is running low. You will receive a notification through the SimpliSafe app or via email.
6. Can I replace the battery while my security system is armed?
It is recommended to disarm your security system before replacing the battery to avoid false alarms.
7. Do I need any special tools to replace the battery?
No, you can use a small flathead screwdriver or even a coin to rotate the sensor and open the battery compartment.
8. Is there a specific brand of battery I should use?
While there are various brands available, it is recommended to use a reputable brand of CR123A lithium battery for optimal performance.
9. Can I replace the battery in my Glass Break Sensor myself, or do I need professional assistance?
You can replace the battery in your Glass Break Sensor yourself. It is a simple process that can be completed in a few minutes.
10. What happens if I don’t replace the battery in my Glass Break Sensor?
If the battery in your Glass Break Sensor dies, it will no longer be able to detect the sound of breaking glass, compromising the effectiveness of your security system.
11. Can I use a different type of battery in my Glass Break Sensor?
No, it is essential to use a CR123A lithium battery as specified by SimpliSafe. Using a different type of battery may result in malfunction or damage to the sensor.
12. How can I prolong the battery life of my Glass Break Sensor?
To extend the battery life, ensure that the Glass Break Sensor is properly mounted, away from direct sunlight, heat sources, and extreme temperatures. Regularly clean the sensor to prevent dust or debris from interfering with its performance.
By following these simple steps, you can easily replace the battery in your SimpliSafe Glass Break Sensor and ensure your home security system remains reliable and effective.