What Battery Goes in a Lexus Key Fob?
Lexus key fobs are a convenient and essential accessory for any Lexus owner. These small devices allow you to remotely lock and unlock your car, start the engine, and even open the trunk. However, like any electronic device, the battery in your Lexus key fob will eventually run out and need to be replaced. So, what battery goes in a Lexus key fob?
The type of battery needed for a Lexus key fob will vary depending on the model and year of your Lexus vehicle. Most Lexus key fobs require a CR1632 battery, which is a small, flat, round battery commonly used in electronic devices. However, it is always best to consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual or contact your local Lexus dealership to confirm the specific battery type required for your key fob.
Replacing the battery in a Lexus key fob is a relatively simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Locate the small groove or seam on the side of your key fob.
2. Use a small flathead screwdriver or a coin to gently pry open the key fob.
3. Once the key fob is open, carefully remove the old battery and dispose of it properly.
4. Take the new CR1632 battery and place it in the battery compartment with the positive side facing up.
5. Close the key fob by aligning the two halves and pressing them together until they click into place.
Now, let’s address some common questions about Lexus key fob batteries:
1. How long does a Lexus key fob battery last?
The lifespan of a key fob battery can vary, but on average, it can last anywhere from one to three years.
2. Can I use a generic battery for my Lexus key fob?
While generic batteries may work, it is recommended to use a high-quality CR1632 battery to ensure optimal performance and longevity.
3. How do I know when my key fob battery needs to be replaced?
If you notice a decrease in the range at which your key fob functions or if it stops working altogether, it’s likely time to replace the battery.
4. Can I replace the battery in my key fob myself?
Yes, replacing the battery in your Lexus key fob is a simple DIY task that can be done at home.
5. Do I need to reprogram my key fob after replacing the battery?
In most cases, you do not need to reprogram your key fob after replacing the battery. However, consult your owner’s manual for specific instructions.
6. Where can I purchase a replacement battery for my Lexus key fob?
You can find CR1632 batteries at most electronics stores, online retailers, or your local Lexus dealership.
7. How much does a replacement key fob battery cost?
The cost of a CR1632 battery can range from a few dollars to around ten dollars, depending on where you purchase it.
8. Can I use a rechargeable battery for my key fob?
It is not recommended to use a rechargeable battery as it may not provide the necessary voltage and could cause issues with your key fob.
9. What happens if my key fob battery dies completely?
If your key fob battery dies completely, you will need to use the physical key to manually unlock and start your Lexus.
10. Can a dead key fob battery drain my car’s battery?
No, a dead key fob battery will not drain your car’s battery as they operate on separate systems.
11. Can I use a key fob with a low battery to start my Lexus?
Yes, even with a low battery, your key fob should still be able to start your car by holding it close to the start button.
12. Can I reuse the old key fob battery?
It is not recommended to reuse old key fob batteries as they may have lost their charge and could potentially leak or cause damage.
In conclusion, knowing what battery goes in your Lexus key fob and how to replace it is essential for maintaining the functionality of your vehicle’s keyless entry system. By following the simple steps outlined above and keeping a spare CR1632 battery on hand, you can ensure that your Lexus key fob always operates smoothly and reliably.